25 Years of Madawaska Valley

1902

On January 13, 1902, the Township of Radcliffe held their first meeting with John Hudson serving as Reeve. Radcliffe had existed in some form prior to this date – the Townships of Brudenell, Radcliffe, Raglan, and Lyndoch had been incorporated back in 1860. Radcliffe gained its independence in 1902, with Mr. Hudson as Reeve and William Boehme, James McKay, Thomas Mahon, and Joseph Mayhew serving as Councillors. Treasurer W.E. James and Clerk J.E.H. Miller rounded out the table. 

1903

Only a year after the creation of the Township of Radcliffe, William Boehme is elected Reeve of Radcliffe. A tailer by trade, Boehme’s name may be recognizable to those who have researched the history of the Mayflower – Boehme was a passenger on the steamer when it sunk in 1912.

1904

Meanwhile in Barry’s Bay, a new kind of industry came to town. Down Paugh Lake Road, Canada Turpentine Company Limited established a factory to extract tar and gum from tree stumps left behind from logging activities. At the time the largest industrial investment in Barry’s Bay, the factory employed thirty by 1907. Unfortunately the industry was short lived and the factory closed in July 1908. The site of the old factory changed hands a few times before being purchased by the Murray Brothers Lumber Company, who built a grading and planning facility on the land. After 33 years in operation, the machinery and equipment was moved to Madawaska.

1905

While Barry’s Bay was seeing the growth of infrastructure, Combermere had an integral piece of theirs damaged – the Combermere Bridge, then a wooden structure, collapsed from the weight of a milk delivery, coming by horse and carriage. The bridge was repaired and eventually a steel swing bridge was put in its place.

1906

Meanwhile, more turnover in the Reeve’s chair in Radcliffe: in 1906, John Hudson was once again elected into this office.

1908

In Barry’s Bay, 1908 was the year John Omanique purchased the Morrison & Gwynn Lumber Company on Kamaniskeg. In 1912, the mill was renamed the Murray & Omanique Lumber Co when Thomas and Michael Murray joined the business. While it changed hands and had different names in the decades to follow, a mill ran on the lakeshore until about 1965, at one point holding the title of largest sawmill in Renfrew County and switching from circular saw to bandsaw to cut logs for J.R. Booth. Today, you can walk the Omanique Trail from the Mask Island Causeway to the Barry’s Bay Boat Launch.

1909

Tragedy struck one evening in August 1909, when a trail derailed at Carson Lake. A washout caused portions of the track to fall into Carson Lake, and the engine, tender, and six cars rolled down an embankment. W.J. Thurston of Madawaska was the lone death in this accident at only twenty years old. In 2024, the Carson Trout Lepine & Greenan Lakes Association spent time investigating the derailment, and despite performing a dive could not find the wreckage. The organization erected a plaque at the site of the derailment and invited Thurston’s family to participate in an event in his honour.

Special thanks to the below organizations and groups from which the above information was compiled:

Did we get a fact wrong? Please let us know: contact us by email or 613-756-2747 x220.

Sign up to our News & Notices

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our News & Notices