The Building Department is responsible to help protect the public and the environment by ensuring that all construction is administered as per the Ontario Building Code Act.

Staff can help you by:

  • Determining if a permit is required
  • Reviewing building permit applications in accordance with the Ontario Building Code (OBC) and the Township Zoning By-Law and other legislation as required
  • Issuing building permits
  • Providing inspections for all new or renovated buildings

The Municipality of Madawaska Valley uses CivicWeb to manage associated documents for building and planning. Please visit our dedicated documents portal on

  • Projects that Require a Building Permit

    Under the Ontario Building Code Act, a building permit is required to construct, demolish, renovate, alter, install, or change the use of a building. The following is a list of typical projects or situations that require the issuance of a building permit prior to construction:

    • New buildings or structures greater than 15 square metres (161 ft²) in area, measured by the outside dimensions. This includes sheds, sleeping cabins, or other accessory buildings or structures, including sheds and shed packages purchased from a store. (Zoning By-Law does apply)
    • Sleeping cabins of any size, including those 10 square metres (108 ft²) or less in area.  (Contact the Building Department, restrictions apply to sleep cabins)
    • Additions to existing buildings or structures.
    • Renovations that involve structural framing.
    • New or replacement decks or stairs.
    • Replacement of windows or doors if the rough opening size is enlarged.
    • Relocation or addition of plumbing fixtures.
    • Replacement of interior water supply or drain pipes.
    • Installation of photovoltaic (PV) panels mounted on buildings.  Note:  an electrical permit is also required – check with an electrician or the Electrical Safety Authority.
    • Wind turbines that generate more than 3 kW of electricity.
    • Greenhouses, if it is to be a permanent structure.
    • Quonset huts and pre-engineered metal buildings, including shipping containers.
    • Replacement of piers under buildings
    • Swimming pools (see Pool/Deck By-Law 2009-51)
    • Hot tubs if being placed on a deck will require a deck permit.

    Wood burning appliances, including new or replacement of existing components, do not require a building permit but must be qualified WETT installed, and a copy of the certificate must be submitted to the Township.

  • Projects that DO NOT Require a Building Permit

    It isn’t necessary to obtain building permits to perform the following work.  However, you must still comply with the requirements of Township of Madawaska Valley Zoning By-law and, if applicable, the Ontario Building Code.

    • One accessory building per lot with a total floor area of 10 square metres (108 ft²) or less.  Note: Zoning By-law requirements must be followed.  (Sleeping cabins of any size, including those 10 square metres (108 ft²) or less in area, ALWAYS require a building permit. Contact the Building Department restrictions apply.)
    • Fences
    • Replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilet, sink, bathtub, shower, hot water tank) in their original locations.
    • Replacement of windows or doors provided the rough opening size does not change.
    • Replacement of shingles or other roofing material.  However, if you’re replacing or adding new roof trusses or rafters, a building permit is required.
    • Installation of photovoltaic (PV) panels mounted on a pole.  However, an electrical permit is required – check with an electrician or the Electrical Safety Authority.
    • Floating or pole docks.
    • Wind turbines that generate 3 kW or less of electricity.
    • Temporary portable shelters, constructed of metal tubing and fabric, used for the storage of vehicles, boats, etc. (As per zoning provisions for setback requirements.)

    If the above lists do not include specifics related to your project, or if you are not sure whether a permit will be required, please contact the Building Department.

  • How do I get a Building Permit?

    Submit a completed building permit application form, along with the appropriate fees plus the building plans and all other required information.  Note: Information that you type on this form cannot be saved, so it is important to PRINT the form once you have entered all the information.  The form can then be submitted, along with all other required information, by mail or in person.

  • What happens if I build without a permit?

    As a property owner and builder it is your responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained, even if you’re hiring a builder or contractor.  If you’re unsure whether you need a permit, contact the Building Department to find out.  The Building By-law and the Ontario Building Code Act have penalties of up to $50,000 upon conviction for illegal construction and up to $100,000 for subsequent offences.  If construction is started without a permit, building permit fees are tripled by the cost of the permit or a $500.00 fine whichever is greater.

  • Open Building Permits

    If you have an open building permit, you are required by law* to notify the Building Department for an inspection.  It is also in your best interest to do so, as having an open building permit may affect the following:

    • Future real estate transactions
    • Mortgage financing.

    Work must continue with an Open Building Permit, if it lapses between six months to a year, contact the Chief Building Official.

    Please contact the Township of Madawaska Valley Building Department to arrange an inspection of your property.

    *Ontario Building Code Division “C” section

  • Septic System Approval

    Forms relating to on-site sewage systems are available in PDF format here.   Note: Information that you type on these forms cannot be saved, so it is important to PRINT the form once you have entered all the information.  The form can then be submitted, along with all other required information, by mail or in person.

  • Demolition Permits

    A demolition permit is required to demolish any building that is larger than 10 square metres (108 sq. ft.) or any part of a building that is attached to an existing structure.  In addition to an application and the permit fee, the Building Department requires the following:

    • A site plan showing the location and setbacks of the building being demolished in relation to the lot lines and other buildings and structures on the lot; and
    • Information on where and how the demolition material will be disposed.
  • Other Permits & Approvals

    Electrical permits and inspections fall under the jurisdiction of the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA).  It’s the responsibility of the homeowner or builder to contact the ESA for proper approvals.

    An entrance permit is required to install a new entrance on your property, to change the location of an existing one, or to install a second entrance.  Entrance approvals are handled by the Operations Department

     New civic addresses (9-1-1 numbers) for vacant lots are acquired through the Township of Madawaska Valley.

    Note: Information that you type on the forms below cannot be saved, so it is important to PRINT the form once you have entered all the information.  The form can then be submitted, along with all other required information, by mail or in person.

  • Planning a Renovation? Asbestos - What You Need To Know

  • Sharing Your Shoreline - Crown Land Work Permits

    Sharing Your Shoreline

    Are you planning to:

    • Build a dock or boathouse?
    • Create a beach?
    • Remove weeds or vegetation?
    • Dredge, fill, dig or alter your shoreline?

    Please Consider – Impacts on Fish and Wildlife

    If you are doing any of the above or any other work in or around water, you may need a Work Permit.

    Work Permit Application Guide for Shoreline Projects

    Contact the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How large can a building be without requiring a permit?

    108 sq. ft or 10 sq m (roughly 10ft X 10ft) The municipal Zoning By-law states only one (1) building under this size is allowed on a property without a permit.

  • Where can I put the building?  (as per Zoning By-Law #2006-26)

    Prepare a detailed SITE PLAN indicating placement of all buildings on your property with distances to property lines. Also, you must include distances to the property lines from the following:

    • the proposed building
    • the septic (if applicable)
    • any water bodies (lake/river/stream if applicable)
    • any hydro lines (if applicable)
    • the road
  • Do I need professional plans?

    Not necessarily. The homeowner can draw up their own plans; however, the plans must have all the required information to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code and zoning By-Law setback/parking requirements.  It is advised to obtain the services of a qualified person.

  • How long does it take to get my permit?

    Provided the permit application is complete and all necessary information that accompanies the application (site plan, building plans, etc.) is accurate and complete, you should receive your permit within a minimum of 10 days of a complete application and for more complex structures withing 15 to 30 days. However, if the Building Inspector requires more information than what you have provided, your application may fall to the bottom of the queue.

  • When are inspections required?

    Refer to the bottom portion of the permit checklist; this will state what stages of construction are required for inspection. REMEMBER, you are responsible for notifying the Building Inspector when you are ready for an inspection.

  • Who can apply for the permit?

    Only the owner of the property can apply for the permit. If there is more than one person that owns the property, both names must appear on the application accompanied by signatures of both property owners. However, the owner(s) may sign the Authorization Form to allow another person on their behalf to apply for the permit, such as a contractor.

  • What is the cost?  (as per By-Law #2021-20)

    • $0.65 per square foot for residential homes, cottages or additions to these.
    • $0.60 per square foot for accessory buildings of residential use.
    • $0.70 per square foot for commercial buildings.
    • $100.00 minimum fee for decks, up to 200 square foot, plus an additional $0.30 square foot after 200 square foot
    • $100.00 minimum fee for any of the above listed.

    A $100.00 fee must accompany the building permit application for additional Schedule of Fees refer to By-Law 2021-20  (Schedule “C”)

  • How long is the permit valid?

    The project must be started within 6 months of issuance. If there is a lapse of more than 1 year, the permit may be revoked. It is advised to keep the Building Official advised of any delays that arise.

  • Do I need an appointment to see the building inspector?

    Although the Building Inspector does keep regular office hours (Mon – Fri), he is in and out of the office conducting site visits for building inspections. You may stop by the office hoping by chance the Building Inspector is available, but keep in mind that he may have previously booked an appointment with someone else.

Building Documents

Contact Us

Earl Dombroskie
Chief Building Official / Septic Inspections
Address: 85 Bay Street, Barry’s Bay, ON K0J 1B0