Effective Thursday, April 8, 2021, at 12:01 a.m., the government issued a province-wide Stay-at-Home order requiring everyone to remain at home except for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services (including getting vaccinated), for outdoor exercise, or for work that cannot be done remotely. As Ontario’s health care capacity is threatened, the Stay-at-Home order and other new and existing public health and workplace safety measures will work to preserve public health system capacity, safeguard vulnerable populations, allow for progress to be made with vaccinations and save lives. Residents are encouraged to follow the Renfrew County District Health Unit and Provincial Guidelines’ guidelines and protocols to avoid travel.
TOWNSHIP MADAWASKA VALLEY FACILITY CLOSURES Effective April 8, 2021:
a.The Township Office is closed to the public. All departments are open for business and staff will continue to provide essential services through email and telephone. Appointments for time-sensitive or legislative issues can be scheduled. Payment options include: paying at a bank, online or telephone banking, mailing a cheque, or dropping payment off at the Township Office in the secure drop box at 85 Bay Street (a receipt can be mailed if requested at the time of payment). Payments, correspondence, or parcels, can be left at the drop box located to the left of the front door. A drop box is also available at the back door for larger envelopes and documents for the Building and Planning Department. Please call 613-756-2747 to schedule an appointment or visit our website at www.madawaskavalley.ca for contact or update information. Please include your name, subject matter, civic address, and telephone number when leaving a message.
b. The Paul J Yakabuski Community Centre, the Combermere Community Centre, the Railway Station, and the Lakeshore Tennis Courts will be closed to the public. All bookings and programming for this period of the lockdown have been canceled.
c. The Madawaska Valley Public Library will be closed to the public. Logistics for curbside pickup are being finalized and will be posted to the Library website at www.madawaskavalleylibrary.ca and through social media. For any further queries, call the library at 613-756-2000.
d. The Drive Test at the Paul J Yakabuski Community Centre is canceled until the Emergency Order is over.
WASTE MANAGEMENT There is no anticipated impact on the curbside collection activities, and the schedules are expected to remain the same as previously advertised. The Bark Lake landfill site, the Wilno and Combermere recycling depots will remain open with social distancing in place. A debit machine is now available at the Bark Lake Landfill Site. You are encouraged to tag your bags before arrival at the sites to reduce the exchange of Cash. Tags/Vouchers can be purchased at the following locations throughout Madawaska Valley:
-McEwen Barry’s Bay (formerly Esso)
-Shell Barry’s Bay
-C.O. Country Market (Combermere)
-Ultramar Barry’s Bay
PUBLIC MEETINGS – Facility closures will not impact the scheduled and upcoming meetings of the Council. They will continue to meet virtually.
The Township Of Madawaska Valley supports the Province of Ontario and the Renfrew County District Health Unit by encouraging residents to respect the Stay at Home Order.
• If you have symptoms; use the Covid-19 Self-Assessment Screening Tool at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
• Renfrew County District Health Unit – 613-732-3629 extension 977 or 1-800-267-1097.
• For more information on COVID-19 updates and Vaccine information please check the Renfrew County District Health website. https://www.rcdhu.com/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-2
• If you live in Renfrew County and District, have a health concern (including a concern related to COVID-19) and If you do not have a family physician or cannot access your family physician, call the Renfrew County Virtual Triage and Assessment Centre (RC VTAC) at 1-844-727-6404. A medical receptionist will connect you with care and support from a nurse practitioner, family physician and/or community paramedic. This new service is covered by OHIP with a valid health card. Learn more at www.rcvtac.ca.
• For complaints regarding inappropriate or illegal gatherings, call OPP – 1-888-310-1122.
• Township of Madawaska Valley By law officer 613-756-2747ext235 leave a message.
If travel is necessary, avoid close contact with others, stay at least 2 meters away, wash your hands regularly, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
Respect local business protocols, including wearing a mask, reducing shopping trips, one member per family entering a store, and practicing all Renfrew County District Health Unit guidelines as established.